THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Babies

Confession: I love babies. And children.

I like everything about them. The way they look, the way they act, the way they are hilarious and cute without even trying.

I picked my career field because I couldn't imagine going to work everyday at a job that didn't involve kids.

I don't know if children's ministry can be considered a spiritual gift, but in my world, it can be, and it is mine. I love kids and kids love me, even the shy kids that don't like anyone but their mom. Children's ministry is definitely my calling. Its what I want to do when I grow up.

(On a side note, I wonder when I will stop staying "when I grow up". At 22 maybe? I'm not sure)

Another confession: if you have kids, I will probably like you, or at least pretend too. This is for two reasons:

1. You won't think I'm a weirdo for trying to play with your kids
2. You might ask me to be your babysitter, at which point, I'll make money doing something I would have done for free anyways.

The good news for my friends Nic and Jo? I already considered them to be great friends of mine before they had a kid, so they know I'm not pretending to like them to get to their new son Hayden:

Hayden was born Tuesday very very early in the morning and I'm already in love with him.

I've been named Hayden's godmother. I think this is mostly a title given to me so others won't think Nic and Jo are weird for letting me be around their son so often.

Out of curiosity, I look up godmother on the internet today. The first definition I found was a cocktail made with Italian Amaretto liqueur and vodka. However, I think this one is a bit more what I was looking for:

"Traditionally, godparents were counted informally responsible for ensuring that the child's religious education was carried out and for caring for the child should he/she be orphaned. Today the word "godparent" may not have explicitly religious overtones. The modern view of a godparent tends to be an individual chosen by the parents to take an interest in the child's upbringing and personal development."

I like the part about religious education being carried out. If children's ministry is my calling, and Hayden is a child that I care about, then it only makes sense for this to be a priority of mine.

I want Hayden to grow up to be a Godly man, husband, and father. I want Hayden to grow up knowing the Jesus that I know and love. I want Hayden to grow up and follow the God that has blessed me with the friendship I have with his parents.

You know when your in youth group and you have to name someone besides your parents who had a significant influence on you and your walk with God?

I would like to be on Hayden's list, because Nic and Jo are on mine.

Trying to set a Godly example,
Jenna

0 comments: