THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Published Works

One thing you probably didn't know about me?

I'm a published writer.

For humility reasons, its not something I like to bring up often, but now that we are talking about it, I've actually been published twice.

The first time, I was in the 2nd grade I think. Everyone in my class had to write and illustrate their own story, then you mailed in your creation along with $20 and they sent back your very own published book.

At the time, I apparently lacked the creativity I now have, because my book was strangely similar to my favorite book at the time, The Rainbow Fish.

So similar, in fact, that I could have been sued for copyright infringement had I not been 7.

The second time came in the 5th grade. We were doing a poetry unit and everyone had to write a bunch of different types of poems. Then, we picked our favorite and our teacher sent them into a company. After that, the company picked the 5 best poems from our class, combined them with poems from other classes across the country and published them in a book of poetry. Then, the company conned everyone's parents and grandparents into buying the book of poems for $20.

I still remember the poem I wrote, it went like this:

Long, rectangular, sort of square
Their nasty smell fills the air
I don't like Fritos but maybe you do
I think I'll try one..Ewww

Poetic genius, I know.

Surprisingly enough, some of the kids wrote really good poems about their grandparents dying, God's love, stuff like that. A decade later, I'm still trying to figure out how my 4 line poem on Fritos made the cut.

Anyways, I write all this to say that the publishers have been knocking. They're ready for more. And after a 10 year hiatus, I'm ready to break out my pen and paper.

I really want to write a book. Whether or not anyone ever reads it is not important, but I want to put my thoughts to paper, separate them by chapter and call it a book.

Not that my thoughts are all that important or profound, but as demonstrated by my attempt to be creative in writing my own version of The Rainbow Fish, I don't think I'd be creative enough to pen a fiction novel.

I'd like to think my style would be similar to Donald Miller. Simply talking through writing with a little wit mixed in.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what to write about.

Good news or bad news depending on how you've treated me in the past? I write everything in a journal. Perhaps I will look there for inspiration. I also bought my own version of the Moleskine today to start keeping my thoughts. I think Uganda will present a good writing stage.

Perhaps by December my unnamed creation will be ready for your reading pleasure.

Working on something else my grandma can be the only person to buy,
Jenna

P.S. Does anyone want to buy me one of these for my trip? This way, I can have tons of books with me in Uganda without having to carry around a ton of books in my backpack. If you do, I'll give you a big thank you, a blog dedication, an awesome souvenir from Uganda, and I'll even mention you in my book.

I really really really want one. I'm just throwing that out there. Do with it what you wish.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

i am not sure what you are wanting somebody to buy you...

trying not be dumb and confused,

foster