THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Mentoring and Tattoos

The "A" key on my keyboard has fallen off, making typing rather annoying. I'm telling you this so that you know many of my words might be leaving out the "A", and so you appreciate the effort that I am making in blogging today.

Anyways, I'm sitting in class right now and its outrageously boring, thus the blog. I'm really quite over school. I am currently researching other forms of income, like the lottery, my own TV show, inventing something really cool, or if I get really desperate, stripping. This, however, would require a lot of work at the gym that I am just not ready for. We'll see how it plays out.

I'm really getting off topic from what I wanted to write about today. Today's post was supposed to be about being a mentor. On Tuesday I went and had lunch with the 8th grade girls from First Lockhart Baptist Church. These girls were in my DNow group, and in my room for every trip I went on with FLBC, so I feel an obligation towards them. Even if I didn't feel an obligation towards them, I would probably still spend time with them, because they make me laugh, and because I think they all need an example of a Godly woman in their lives.

That made me sound really conceited, I have tried rewriting it, because it sounds bad, but I can't come up with another way to say it. I'm not saying that I am the ultimate in Godly woman-ness, I'm just saying that they need something, and they have to settle for me. I'm sure there are much better options out there.

Anyways, today I am writing about what it means to be a mentor. I've been thinking about it today. Now that I don't go to Lockhart every Wednesday and Sunday, I don't see the girls very much. I send the occasional email to check in on them, but Tuesday was the first time I've seen them since the summer. So, does being a mentor mean constantly spending time growing the individual you are mentoring, or does it simply mean setting an example and being available if needed for said individual?

I pose that as a theoretical question that I do not know the answer to in hopes that someone wiser than myself will let me in on the answer.

Additionally, I would like to share that lately I have been discouraged in my ability to be a mentor/leader. Like I said, I havn't been paying much attention to the girls, and lately, I've really been feeling like I don't have much to offer as a mentor/leader. However, yesterday, one of the girls sent me an email that went something along the lines of this (grammatical errors/slang corrected and personal information removed):

Jenna,
Thanks for coming to see us yesterday. It was so great to see you! I think its so awesome that you have time to go to college, work 2 jobs, and go through hard times, and still make time to see us. Plus, you looked so pretty yesterday! I hope I have my life as organized as you do when I am your age.

I share that because it made me smile, it gave me confidence in my abilities, and it made me realize something else. When I go about my day to day life, and when I make decisions, am I paying attention to who is watching? Not in an "are people judging me" sort of way, but in a way that has me focusing on setting a Godly example for the people that look up to me.

I feel like my thoughts have been random again, but my challenge to you is this: Watch your actions, thought, and words, because you never know who may be watching you for an example.

Now, for a completely unrelated topic. I am considering getting a tattoo. Probably something cute and classy like a heart or "sexy" in Old English on my butt or my hip. Or maybe this alien tattoo:


on my back right above my crack, in true tramp stamp fashion.


I hope by now you have figured out that I am kidding, not about the tattoo, but about the form of tattoo. I'm actually not telling the tattoo I am considering yet, because I have not completely nailed down the design, and because I like to keep you on the edge of your seat.

Plus, I thought this would provide for a good opportunity for an interactive blog. Thus readers, I present you with this question: If you could pick any tattoo for me to get, what would it be? Please also specify location. Jokes and serious responses are both welcomed. Bonus points if you submit an image.

Considering getting inked,
Jenna

2 comments:

To Have & Hold said...

Jenna! So funny that your blog would be about tattoos! I want one too! But my parents are not okay with the idea yet! If I were getting one, it would be a cross, a tiny cross, in white...where im not sure yet! For you, i like the heart idea...mandy moore has a really cute one on her toe. I also love jessica biel's dove on her hip...Wow, I kind of sound like a celebrity stalker. If you want to be really BA then you should get this....
z.about.com/d/tattoo/1/0/3/4/unicornrose.jpg
im just saying:)
xoxo a

JMob said...

i google tramp stamp and this is what google came up with for you.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i159/mbunch/Tramp_Stamp_Biblical_Love.jpg

1. if google came up with it, that means its destiny.
2. it's biblical.
3. it aligns perfectly with where you want to place it, as stated above.