THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 15, 2009

Another Day At The Babies Home

Today was a pretty laid back day. We woke up and headed to the babies home. This morning was fabulous. There was an occupational therapist there from Germany and she and I worked with the “therapist” that usually works at the home. I guess because she was there and telling him the same things I told him last week, he was actually willing to listen. I feel like the morning was actually productive.

We explained to him that Godwin and Moses do not actually have autism, and we taught him some of the basic symptoms and treatments of autism. We also showed him some sensory activities and speech things he can do with them to help with their delayed speech.

We proved to him that a boy named Oscar is not deaf and showed him how to work on his speech.

Perhaps most importantly, we showed him a bunch of activities we can do with Francis (the cerebral palsy boy). Also, the therapist has a friend who is a carpenter and he is going to fix up the very run down chair that he currently has.

I can’t wait to go back to the house and work with them again next Monday. It feels so great to actually make a difference.

After the baby’s home we went back to the craft market. I bought some bags, jewelry, and some really pretty carved gourds. I’m pretty sure I’m going to have to have one of the rooms in my future home as an African theme. I have so much cool stuff!

After the craft market we had a late lunch and then we had a meeting about Gulu. Gulu is a village in northern Uganda that has experienced a lot of destruction after the fighting from the Lord’s Resistance Army that occurred there a few years ago. We are leaving for Gulu early Wednesday morning and coming back Sunday after church. Here are a few quotes from the meeting:

• You should bring toilet paper if you want to be able to use it.
• Prepare to be uncomfortable.
• Girls should wear skirts so that its easier to use the restroom in the bushes
• The water you bathe in will probably be dirty

And my personal favorite:

• You should sleep in long sleeves and long pants so that you don’t feel the cockroaches crawl on you at night

Despite all of this, we are going to be building a home for a woman who is taking care of her 9 grandchildren, visiting kids at local schools, and perhaps what I am most excited about, visiting and playing with children at a refugee camp. There is even a school we are going to that is solely for children who have been injured in the war. To say that I am excited about the ministry opportunities that are coming up would be an understatement. It is going to be so impactful for both us and them!

After the meeting we just hung out at the house. I did some laundry. We can add washers and dryers to the list of things I appreciate back home. I helped Sarah the housekeeper wash my clothes in a basin and then we laid them out on the grass to dry which to me defeats the purpose of washing, but Sarah seemed ok with it. I also miss dryer sheets and fabric softener, my clothes are so hard!

The Carolina girls left this evening. It was really sad to see them go. It kind of sucks to share all these once in a lifetime experiences with people and then know that you won’t see them much, if ever, after they leave. It’s a little depressing. 2 new boys and a new girl are coming tonight and another new girl is coming tomorrow. It will be interesting to meet them.

The only good thing about the girls leaving is that I finally get a bottom bunk! I was so tired of crawling up that little ladder every night. It will be so nice to roll into bed when I am tired. Who would have thought I’d be so excited about a bottom bunk?

Tomorrow is a day to relax and prepare for Gulu. It should be an easy day.

Today’s word: mwaana (ma wan na) which means baby.

Excited for Wednesday,
Jenna

0 comments: