THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Just Another Day In Africa

Today we woke up and had a really awesome devotion time. Rachel played the song “God Of This City” for us and we talked about how God is the God of Kampala. Then, we went on a prayer walk around our neighborhood. I went with Emily and Rita. It was really nice to just walk around the Ntinda area. Most of the time, our ministries are further away from our house, and it was nice to focus on our neighbors for a bit.

After devotions, we headed to Katawalma children’s hospital and there were finally therapists there! Well actually, only one therapists, the rest were in meetings. The therapist I worked with was named Karen, she is from Switzerland and she is actually a physical therapist. She also told me that back home, she hasn’t worked on a child in close to 5 years. Working with her ended up being really good, she was able to show me some stuff, and because she didn’t have a ton of experience with kids, she was willing to listen to my suggestions. She even asked me to do some therapy by myself during one of the sessions.

The first little boy, Mohammed, we worked with had a mild case of cerebral palsy. He is 2 years old and is still having trouble sitting up and using his left hand. The therapist worked on his left hand some, and then she let me do some NDT treatments on a ball with him. He was a really happy kid, and his mom was really involved and helpful, so it was really nice to work with them.

The second boy, Sansom, made me cry for the second time in Africa. Sansom is probably close to 20 years old but they lie and say he is 18 so that he can come to therapy. He has a severe case of cerebral palsy, and his parents just started bringing him to therapy for it last month.

Sansom looked like he was maybe 12. He had joint contractures that make it impossible for him to bend his knees. His legs are permanently crossed. His feet look like clubs. His hands are clasped tightly together and his wrist and flopped over. He also drools all over himself. The therapist also told me that before the doctor gave him pain pills last week, all he did was cry any time anyone touched him or tried to move him.

He can’t sit up by himself and he lies on his side all day in the same position until someone comes along and changes his position. Additionally, because he lies on his side all day, his family has trouble feeding him. His legs and arms are literally skin on bones. I wasn’t allowed to take pictures of him, but I wish you could have seen him. It was absolutely heartbreaking.

Karen and I did what we could for him therapy wise, and we worked on placing on order for a wheelchair and some hand splints from the workshop for him.

After Sansom, I went and met with a few of the carpenters about some things I wanted to order for Sanyu. They don’t have any therapy wedges or rolls, so I ordered some for the clinic. I was able to take a wedge home with me, but I have to wait a few weeks on the roll. I also tried to talk to them about making a chair for Francis. I had drawn up measurements for a chair for him, but they refused to make it without seeing him first. We called the director of Sanyu and made arrangements to bring him back tomorrow. We have to live at 6:30 in the morning.

After we got back, we had a really fast lunch and then we went to Clive College (high school) to lead a Scripture Union. We sang songs, Kevin spoke and then we split up into groups and let the kids ask us questions.

The kids in my group were so funny. They asked a bunch of questions about farming, and my job, but my favorite question was, “I’ve heard that people with white skin like you bath 3 times a day and that’s why you’re so white. Is that true?” It was hilarious.

After Scripture Union we hung out at the house some. I went and got some silly string, balloons, and shaving foam for therapy with the kids at Sanyu. Afterwards, we went back to Kampago College (high school) and played soccer and basketball with some of the kids.

While we were playing soccer, I cut a ball around a boy and I think I embarrassed him, because afterward he shoved me onto the ground. His friends yelled at him in Luganda, so he apologized but it still cut up my knees and elbows pretty badly. It’s the first time that someone has been mean to me in Uganda.

Tonight Colin and Leah made tacos with chapatti. Then, Brian and Rawles introduced me to their special sandwich that they make when they are at home. It’s peanut butter, sugar, cinnamon, maple sugar, and bananas on a chapatti (or tortillas at home). It was literally Heaven in my mouth.

Admittedly, all the sugar made me sick.

I am ultra excited about tomorrow. We are getting Francis his chair, I get to go hang out with Moses at Remand home, we are visiting a School for the Deaf and then tomorrow night we are getting ready for safari. It’s going to be a great day!

Today’s word: oluwumula (o-lou-woo-moo-la) which means vacation

Excited for Tomorrow,
Jenna

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Jenna, you are definetly going to have to show me and educate me on how to take those measurements for a wheelchair. I pretty sure we were taught in that one class that went way into depth about it, but I couldnt remember that for my life. I sure you are an expert now that you have done it so many times. I literally want to break into tears each time you mention a disabled child and how bad their situation is. It makes my heart happy that you are there to make their lives better :)