THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 8, 2009

Planning Day

Mondays are planning days, which means we don’t do much ministry. This morning, we woke up and had devotionals. Devotionals consist of singing, sharing what God has been teaching us, and then reading and discussing a verse. This morning’s verse was from Matthew “where your treasure is there your heart will be also”. It was an interesting verse to talk about. Sometimes, I like to think that I do a good job of not caring about earthly things then, I start to think of all the people I have been seeing lately. I think of the lady from yesterday with a run down hut who paid for lunch for 60 people, and I think of the kids who have 2 sets of clothes and yet have a huge joy for the Lord, and people from church who gave fruits and vegetables because that’s all they had to give. I start to think about all those things and then I start to think that I could probably do a MUCH better job.

I’ve found in Africa that I can live without running water, air conditioning, television, and high speed internet, and the more I think about the things I have back home, the more I think I value earthly things way too much.

After devotionals, we went to the African craft market. It was so much fun! Both of the vans are broken down today, so we had to take a taxi. The taxi drivers here charge Monzugu double for riding in a taxi, so the Ugandans have to trick them by settling on a price before they realize they are driving us. The vans we drive in usually are old taxis (they seat up to 17 people!) so other than that it was just the same as usual.

The craft market is interesting, they have a ton of stuff and everything is super cheap. I got some presents for a few people, but I’ll probably go back a few times to get everyone off my list. You can also barter like in Mexico, which I love! The only bad thing is that they charge Monzugus extra here too. Next time, I might give Amanda my shopping list and have her get the things for me for cheaper.

After we got back we had some lunch and then we had meetings to prepare for the week. I am posting the weekly schedule on the calendar at jennacoe.shutterfly.com, you can go check it out. I really don’t see a point in writing it on here, because you can just read it as it happens.

I do, however, want to tell you that on Saturday I am going white water rafting on the Nile River! How awesome is that? Seriously. How many people can say that they have white water rafted in the Nile? I am so blessed. Thank you guys so much for helping to get me here.

It’s going to cost me 250,000 shillings, or $125 dollars, but I think an experience like that is worth every penny.

Some people in my group are also bungee jumping. I love living and hate heights too much to ever do that.

We also practiced songs and skits that we will perform this week.

After practice, Amy left. I didn’t know her that well, so it wasn’t that sad, but our room does feel different now. Before she left, Amy told me that the time flies by. Watching how sad she was about leaving made me sad about the end of July. I miss home and I know I’m going to get homesick, but today mad me realize what a short time I have here. I plan on appreciating every minute of it!

Now, we are just hanging out at the house. The girls in charge of dinner tonight are making pancakes! I can’t wait.

Emily, Brittney, and I are on dishes duty two nights this week. Dishes for 40 people, times 3 meals, with water that sometimes doesn’t work. Should be awesome.

On a side note, I found out today that water hasn’t been working in the evening because of construction. I could get up early in the morning and take a real shower, but to be honest, I care more about sleep than I do about a real shower. I guess Africa is already changing me!

Today’s word: Webelenyo (way-bay-len-o) which means thank you very much.

Webelenyo for all your prayers and support,
Jenna

P.S. Completely unrelated to Africa: both of my favorite youth groups are at camp this week. The youth group at First Baptist Church Georgetown and The Connection Church at Kyle are both leaving for camp right now, I think. It's 9 pm here so 1 there? They might already be arriving. Anyways, pray for safety and for the Lord to move in everyone's life!

Also, you should check out the site awkwardfamilyphotos.com. It is hilarious and makes me laugh almost everyday I'm here.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, so I disagree that Africa has changed you in that you now choose sleep over a real shower. lol I have known you to choose sleep over just about anything any given day! haha well anything school related anyway. I can't believe your going white water rafting! I want you to know that I am living vicariously through you everyday of this summer :) p.s. the secret to dish duty is to offer to be the dryer/put away gal, this keeps you from actually scrubbing anything and keeps your nail polish from chipping. Miss you!!
Laura