THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Day Two

Last night, I only slept a little. I think my body is still on American time. I was so tired all day, and then, the second I laid down I felt wide awake. It was also my first night to sleep under a mosquito net. Life seems much more exciting when sleeping under a mosquito net.

Today was an awesome day. We went to Sanyu babies home today. It is a home for children under 3 years of age who have been orphaned. I know some of you back home have heard of the Watoto children’s choir. I found out today that if the children in the home are not adopted, then when they turn 3, they join the Watoto children’s choir. The home is absolutely awesome. We feed kids, hold kids, change kids, dress kids, bathe kids, and love on kids. It is right up my alley. I could do that all day everyday. The home also does adoption, and a few of the other volunteers that are there are adopting kids and are waiting for their adoption papers to go through. It was interesting to talk to them about their adoptions.

The kids are absolutely adorable. I am 95% sure that one of my children will come from this home. I know that is a bold statement, but I have always know that at least one of my children will be adopted, and I am so in love with this place and what they are doing there.

Also, Nic and Jo, you should get your next kid from here too. Seriously.

After time at the baby’s home, we went home for lunch and then we went to Ramand Juvenile home. The home is for 3 groups of youth. One group has actually committed crimes, one group is homeless youth that the cops have pulled off the streets and placed there, and one is children whose parents no longer want to raise them because of money or behavioral issues.

On a side note, many of the “criminals” are not guilty of the crimes they committed. Furthermore, most of the children are there for stealing, and many of them steal to pay for things like food and school.

This afternoon we played games, one of the boys in our group gave his testimony and then we broke up into groups and talked with the boys. I was in a group with boys named Fred, Robert and two other names that I cannot pronounce. Two of the boys were Muslims, but they had many questions about Jesus and the Bible.

The language difficulties between us made things a bit difficult, but we are going back every Thursday, and I am excited to see what this growing relationship can bring. Please pray for open hearts and language barriers to be broken.

When we got back, I walked to the market down the street and checked out the available foods at a Ugandan grocery store. I also exchanged my money and set up my phone. I’m not quite sure what my Ugandan phone number is yet, but I will let you know when I can.

Also, tonight I was excited to discover that everyone here loves Skip Bo! Me and a boy named Rawles dominated.

Tomorrow we are going into a local village to help build a nursery. We will also be playing with children and sharing the Gospel with some of the locals. Please pray for opened hearts for the people and clear words from me!

Trying to figure out how many children I’ll be able to fit into my suitcase to bring them home with me,
Jenna

P.S. I am going to start teaching you a new Luganda (one of the main local languages) word everyday. Today’s word:

Monzugu (mon zoo goo)-white person

Pretty much every child calls you this when they see you, and they think it’s really funny.

P.P.S. It’s looking like I won’t be able to post any more pictures. The internet connection is much to slow. I apologize. At least you’ll have something to look forward to when I get back!

1 comments:

Nic Burleson said...

Get all the info on adoption you can while you are there. Seriously. I wanted to adopt the whole freakin' Watoto choir when we met them! Keep up the great work. We're proud of ya' and praying for ya!