THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Experiencing Some African Culture

Today was another great day in Uganda. We woke up this morning and went to a local university that also has an Anglican church on its campus. We had to get their really early to put on Sunday school for the girls that attend school on campus. Sunday school was awesome! The girls sang some songs for us and gave a short message and then we did the same. It was so cool to hear the joy those girls had for the Lord. The best part was singing “My Redeemer Lives” with them. At the part where the song says, “Because my Lord has conquered the grave…my Redeemer lives, my Redeemer lives” the whole room went nuts. I mean shaking plastic chairs in the air, twisting handkerchiefs above our heads, fisting pumping, jumping up and down nuts. There were at least 100 people in the room celebrating the fact that Our Redeemer really does live. The energy and passion in the room was awesome. I almost cried. It was really a beautiful moment and one of the best worship experiences I’ve ever been a part of.

After the Sunday school, we went to the main service. Anglican church services aren’t really my thing I suppose. The worship was awesome, but the pastor’s message gave me some of the best sleep I’ve gotten in a while. It took him 20 minutes just to read through Colossians chapter 1! We also presented a skit during the service.

The skit was interesting to say the least. None of us really understood the point or the message of the skit. I was an angel, which meant that for the entire song/skit I flapped my arms like wings. By the end of the skit, I’m pretty sure the audience was laughing at us. I have a video of it, so hopefully I can show it to you guys when I get home. Despite the fact that the skit made no sense, I’m a pretty dang good angel wing flapper if I do say so myself.

Today when I got back from church I was tired and sore and sunburned from white water rafting. I was also dumb enough to burn myself on the boda boda the other day and the burn started to blister. My ankle was slightly twisted and swollen from rafting yesterday and I had a ton of mosquito bites all over me. In short, I wasn’t feeling so hot so I popped in P.S. I Love You on my lap top and fell asleep watching it. It was a nice afternoon. I felt approximately 4,637 times better afterwards

Tonight we went to a nearby cultural center and watched a dance troop perform all the tribal dances of the different tribes in Uganda. It was nuts. I don’t know how those dancers move the way they do. At one point, a woman balanced 9 pots on her head and danced at the same time. It was crazy! We also had a buffet of traditional African food: matooke, sweet potatoes, Irish potatoes, grilled goat on a stick and pineapple bites for deserts. There was also a ton of fruit. The fruit in Ugandan is so good and fresh. I love it!

Tomorrow I’m not sure exactly what’s in store for us. There is a rumor we might go to the baby’s home and craft market, but that has yet to be confirmed. I do know that the Carolina girls, Brittney, Ashley, Anna, and Carissa are heading home tomorrow night. It will be really sad to see them go. 3 new people are also coming tomorrow. It will be interesting to meet them.

Today’s word: kuzina (koo ze na) which means to dance.

Wishing I had African Rhythm,
Jenna

0 comments: