THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

God Taught Me a Lesson Today, And A Cool One At That

This morning we woke up and went to a primary school called Modern school. It was one of the nicer schools we have been too. It had 3 stories and a canteen that students could purchase food from. Our entire group went to the school, but then we spilt into our 3 groups and went to different classes. My group did the primary 1-3 kids, so they were around 6 to 8 years old. Kevin and I led worship, we played some games, I read the story of Daniel and the lion’s den and then we passed out pencils, erasers, and sharpeners. The kids listened relatively well and I think they had a good time so it was a successful morning.

In other news this morning I woke up to find my foot to be redder and more painful than yesterday, so Jessie and I decided I should go to the doctor. After eating lunch and saying goodbye to Gabby who left today, Rita and I headed to The Surgery Clinic to get it looked at while everyone else went to Scripture Unions.

It was definitely an interesting experience. The doctor asked me a few questions, poked around at my wound (without gloves or washing his hands) and confirmed that my wound was in fact infected. I’m sure glad he went to medical for that.

Afterwards he recommended that I take an antibiotic and I informed him that I am allergic to penicillin to which he responded, “Oh, well it’s probably not that important that you take them.” I then proceeded to insist that I did, in fact, need an antibiotic and to inform him that there are types of antibiotics that do not have penicillin in them to which he responded, “Oh, I know, but they are in the room next door.” I volunteered to go and get them if needed, so then he went next door and got the necessary medication. He then sent me upstairs to have the nurses clean my foot.

The nurse squeezed and drained it similar to the way Jessie did yesterday, only today it was much more painful. She also rinsed my wound with water (tap water) and then put some gauze on it and told me not to change the bandage for a week so as “not to disrupt the healing”. All of her cleaning was also done without gloves or hand washing.

I’m supposed to go back in 2 days if it’s not looking better. In case you’re wondering, this was an international clinic and is supposed to be one of the best medical places Kampala has to offer. Awesome.

After the clinic I came home and waited for everyone to come home from the secondary school that I missed. We hung out at the house for a little while and then we went to a nearby squatter’s neighborhood to do some door to door evangelism.

You know how sometimes you like to think you know every thing and then God makes you realize that you don’t? That happened to me at the squatter’s neighborhood. When we arrived, we realized that we had about 20 white people and only 2 Ugandans, so being the super positive person I am, I immediately assumed that our adventure wasn’t going to work and was going to be a huge failure.

We spilt up into 2 groups of 10 people and went to different parts of the neighborhood. Then, at every house half of our group would go into the house and the other half would stay outside. The first house we went to, British Amy (as opposed to the other Amy, Irish Amy), Heath, Steph, and I waited outside. While we were waiting, I had a slightly inappropriate slip of the tongue that I can’t post on here but I’ll tell you about if you ask.

I don’t really know what went on in the house, but everyone who went inside said it went really great. Also, Nathan made the kids balloon animals and they loved it.

The second house is when God really taught me a lesson. Heath, Amy, Steph, Colin and I met a Muslim man who had 3 wives. We thought we were originally just going to talk to him for a little while and he just randomly came out and told us that he loved that we were coming by and encouraging him. He also mentioned that he had never been visited by Muslims, but that in the last couple of weeks he had been visited by Christians twice. After talking with him about Jesus and Christianity for a while, he told us he was ready to give his life to Christ!

We prayed with him right there and gave him some contact information for a local church. It was such an incredible experience and I was so happy God let me be a part of it! I love when God teaches me lessons.

After we visited one more house (the other group went in) we had to head home. After dinner and a trip to the market for some ice cream, we just sat around outside and talked because the electricity was out. I had a great time talking with Emily and Heath. We spent a lot of time making fun of cheesy Christians and my slip up from earlier in the day. We also decided that tomorrow would be Cheesy Christian day, which is a day involving saying tons of Cheesy Christian things.

It started off well tonight with Emily making a reference to me showering being similar to me being washed in the Living Water.

I was supposed to online video chat with my parents and Ally tomorrow morning but the electricity being out means no internet.

In other news, my foot looks about the same, but it hasn’t gotten any worse, so that’s a good sign.

Enjoying Another Day,
Jenna

0 comments: