THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Titles for These Things Are Difficult

This morning we woke up and had a great devotion time. Rachel passed out 10 shilling coins to everyone and explained how Uganda no longer uses this type of coin and they are worthless. She then talked about how Uganda views most of its children in the same fashion and that everyday is an opportunity to change that. It was short and sweet but it really moved me.

I have been getting frustrated with the fact that I don’t feel like I am having a huge effect on the kid’s lives here. I expected to come in and be this huge life change for them, and whenever we go play with a kid for an afternoon never to see them again, it frustrates me. I realized today that making them feel special for an afternoon is a big enough life change for them. It really changed my attitude on a lot of things.

After devotions we went to Victory Primary School and played games and sang songs with the kids. I also shared the story for the first time. I told the story of Joseph and his brothers and his dreams (check out Genesis 37ish through 46ish) and how we need to forgive people when they are mean to us. I know that’s extremely simplified, but I was talking to 8 to 10 year olds, so it couldn’t be too complicated.

Afterwards we came home and Andrew, Emily, and I went and got lunch at Chicken Express before we headed out to another school, King Solomon Secondary school. We were supposed to be going to another Scripture Union (like FCA in America) during the school’s lunch hour, but when the school found out we were coming, they made the entire student body come out and watch our presentation. This means we were singing, dancing, doing a skit, and sharing the Gospel to a bunch of 14 to 18 year olds who were missing their lunch break to watch us. Needless to say, it didn’t go well. The Scripture Union kids loved it, but the kids of the kids weren’t so impressed. They talked and laughed and made fun of us pretty much the entire time. Benon and I did a skit together and Jen spoke and despite the problems, it went relatively well.

Once we got home we practiced songs for a little while so that the new people could learn the songs we do in Swahili and Luganda. It was also so we could learn them, because there are still quite a few songs where I just make noise and move my lips and pretend like I know what I’m saying.

To be honest, practice didn’t help me much.

After practice, I got a pedicure. There is a 20 something boy who comes by our house and does nails to help pay for school and my feet were revolting, so I let him give me one. My feet literally lost 3 to 4 shades of tan/dirt. They look much better now.

After me and Emily got pedicures, Andrew and Brett wanted to paint our nails for some reason, so we let them. Each one of our nails is a different design and color. It looks interesting to say the least. We promised to keep it on for at least one week. It will be funny to see what the kids think of it this week.

After dinner we all watched P.S. I Love You. It was wonderful. That movie never gets old.

Francis’ chair is supposed to be done tomorrow when we go to the hospital. I’m so excited!

Looking forward to the morning,
Jenna

0 comments: