THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 27, 2009

Last Day At Sanyu

This morning was one of the most difficult mornings of my life. We woke up and went to Sanyu to spend the morning there. I brought along my treatment plans that I had written up for each of my therapy kids, and this morning I taught them all to Elias, the “therapist” working there. I did the best I could to explain everything to him so that he can continue to do good work on my kids when I leave.

It took pretty much the entire time for me to teach the exercises and treatment plans to Elias and Felix, but it was nice to get to see each kid one last time. Esther was also sick this morning, so I got to sit and hold her for a little bit while we waited for the nurse.

Also, a really nice lady came in while I was working with Francis from England. She told me that she would be here for a few weeks, and that she had made Francis her personal project. I showed her everything that I do with her, and explained to her the importance of Francis being placed in his chair often. She told me that she would ensure that he was well taken care of, so it was a real comfort and blessing. I felt a little better about leaving him knowing that he was in good hands.

After I finished teaching Elias all the treatment plans, I sat and talked to him a little while. He went on and on about what a blessing I have been to him and the kids this summer. He also gave me quite an honor. He explained to me that each different part of the baby’s home has a sponsor. Being a sponsor involves having your name on a plaque outside the area, being recognized at board meetings and such, and helping to ensure that the needs of the area are met. Currently, the kitchen, play area, and each classroom have a sponsor and Barbara recently decided that the therapy room needs one as well. She told Elias that he could pick a person, and today he asked me if I would be the therapy room sponsor. I was overwhelmed by what he had to say. It actually almost made me cry. I didn’t realize I had such a large effect on him. I felt really nice to have my work this summer recognized, no matter how small it is.

I ended therapy a little early so that I could say bye to all of my favorite kids before I left. I got a bunch of big hugs and slobbery kisses. It was wonderful.

Then, it was time to actually leave. I’ll be honest; I cried the entire way home. Not just eyes watery cry, but tears down the face, bottom lip quivering, nose running, super ugly cry. It was awful leaving those kids. I have developed such a love for them over the summer; it literally tore me apart to leave them.

After getting home and calming down, we had a quick lunch and then I finished organizing my paper and went and got it bound. It took a long time to do, because they actually hand bind the paper here, but after about an hour, it was finally finished!

It feels so good to be done!

After I got back I started working on getting things taken care of before I have to leave. Then, we had team bonding time. It involved practicing songs, giving each other uplifting comments, and answering random questions about ourselves. Even though it sounds lame, it was actually a lot of fun.

After team bonding time, I worked on my presentations some.

I also spent some time on the driveway with Heath just playing with the neighborhood kids. I’m really going to miss moments like that.

Tonight we are just hanging out at the house. We are probably going to watch School of Rock later.

My mom and sister are leaving in the next hour or so for London, so pray for a safe flight for them.

Sad that tomorrow is my last day in Uganda,
Jenna

1 comments:

Nic Burleson said...

Jenna,
I know without an ounce of doubt that Uganda and Africa are brighter, more hope & love filled, happier places because you were the hands & feet of Jesus there this summer. Johanna and I couldn't be more prouder of you! We can't wait to see ya when you get home!