THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 17, 2009

Luwero is Tomorrow

This morning we woke up really early and went to Kyambogo Primary School. We spilt up into 2 groups and sang songs and presented a message. My group was with the younger kids. We sang a bunch of songs and Rachel told the story of David and Goliath. I’ll don’t think I’ll ever get tired of how cute the kids look in uniforms, or how much more behaved they are when compared to American kids.

After the school we went to Kids In Need. We were supposed to be repainting all of their walls and fences so the vans dropped us off at Kids In Need and then we waited for a few of the Ugandans to go and pick up paint and brushes. And we waited. And waited. And waited. And waited. For close to 3 hours.

As it turns out, the van broke down on the way to get paint. So we spent most of the morning playing with kids. I played a lot of card games with them, and I even learned the African version of checkers and how to play an African card game.

By the time the paint arrived, it was time to eat lunch. We painted a little and didn’t get very much done, so I am hoping that we go back next week to finish. I hate telling someone we are going to do something and then not following through.

After we painted for a while, we presented a program to the kids. While everyone else was doing the program, Emily, Francis, Brett and I finished up the painting and then Helen, Shawna, and I did some more face painting. Today I painted a boy (who we nicknamed Sneaky Pete) with a tiger face and then I let Helen paint my face to match. It itched, but it did make for some cute pictures.

After kids in need we went and played basketball game against a secondary school. We got creamed, Emily, Diana, Edith, Amy, and I just sat and cheered the whole time. It was relatively boring.

After the game we came home and cleaned up and headed downtown to celebrate Emily’s last night with everyone (Brett, Andrew, and Katie are leaving for safari tomorrow). We went to a place called Steers and had some really good burgers and ice cream.

Unfortunately, the evening was kind of ruined. While we were on our way out, a street child was hit by a car. The car then drove away. The child was killed. We watched it happen. Then we watched as everyone just stood and stared while a doctor tried to help her.

It was like they were putting on some kind of show for everyone.

Everyone just walked by and stared and made snide comments like it was nothing. Children are literally expendable here, and street children even more so. No one even cared.

It made me sick to my stomach.

I tried not to cry the whole way home. I had to read all the letters and cards and notes that you guys gave me to make me feel better.

Needless to say, this event put me in a damper mood. I spent the rest of the evening reading in my Bible and writing e-mails.

In other, happier news, my foot is looking much better, and tomorrow we are going to Luwero! I’m really excited about tomorrow.

Hoping things are looking up tomorrow,
Jenna

0 comments: