THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Leaving Uganda

I slept about 3 hours last night. I stayed up really late packing and hanging out with everyone and then I had to get up at 5 so that I could get to the airport on time. I got ready, finished up packing, and then left a note for everyone at the house.
At 6, it was time to leave. Normally, people usually ride with people who are leaving to the airport as a way to see them off, but since I was leaving so early, I didn’t really expect anyone to come.

Rita, Diana, Jayan, Rachel, and Amy all got up to say bye to me, and Heath and Brett both came with me. So did Rocky, our gate guard. Also, Felix came all the way from his house (about 45 minutes) to our house so that he could come too. I was really moved by the number of people that wanted to see me off, especially Heath, Brett, Felix, and Rocky.

I cried again saying goodbye to everyone at the house, just in case you’re wondering.

We had a great ride to the airport, just talking about our favorite memories from the summer, laughing about things that have happened and talking about the first things I am going to do when I get home. It really helped to take my mind off leaving, and I’m really glad the boys decided to come with me.

Once we got to the airport, the guys helped me carry my stuff to the security gate, and then we had to say bye. I held it together during the goodbyes, but I started crying again once I got inside.

I was loading my bags into the security check point with tears running down my face. I’m sure I looked like such an idiot.

I got on the plane without any problems and said goodbye to Uganda from the plane. I cried again. The girl next to me thought it was because I was afraid of flying.

I am usually not so emotional about things. I hate crying, especially in public, but I literally couldn’t hold it in.

I’ve never had something not physical physically hurt me so much, if that makes sense. It actually physically hurt me to leave Uganda, I think.

My friend, Kelsey, has spent a few semesters in London in the past, and I remember her telling me one time that her heart was still in London. It’s a statement that has always stuck with me, but I have never understood it until today.

I love my family and I love my friends and I love the life I have in Texas, but a part of me will always belong in Uganda.

God has taught me so much this summer and has given me so many memories and experiences that were literally once in a lifetime. I am so grateful for every minute of the experience. I wish I could do a better job of describing it to you.

I think I may start to suffer from separation anxiety, I’m hoping London will help to ease the pain.

Missing Uganda,
Jenna

0 comments: