THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 24, 2009

Sweeping Mud

This morning we woke up and had a really quick devotion before heading to school to do breakfast ministries. My group went to Wankulukuku again. I really love that school and the kids there. This morning, I found out that most of the kids at the school have lost one or both parents to HIV/AIDS. When we got there, part of our group started making porridge, while the rest of our group did a program. I ended up leading games, which ended up being quite a difficult task because the porridge took longer than expected to prepare and we had go to buy cups because the kids had nothing to eat the porridge out of.

I literally had to bring out every Ugandan game I could think of. I pulled out Cat and Rat, Mengo, I Want, I Want, Making Melodies and the Ugandan version of tug of war. I also had to pull out some American games, Red Light, Green Light, Hokie Pokey, Father Abraham. Game time literally lasted over an hour. I also had to help with worship a little bit because the girl leading worship has just started leading and had some trouble coming up with songs.

I could help but think of my first day here. I had no idea what was going on. I didn’t know any of the songs. I felt so awkward and uncomfortable and out of place. Today I led an over 2 hour program. Even Colin, one of the Ugandans commented on how comfortable I looked and acted. It’s crazy to think about how much I have changed since I have been here. Scared and awkward to comfortable and leading. Uganda actually feels like a second home to me now. It’s funny how quickly that happened. It took me close to a year to feel comfortable in San Marcos.

After games and songs, Vanessa told a quick story, and then we served porridge to all the kids who didn’t bring a lunch to school. They never eat anything at school, in case you’re wondering, so it felt good to give them something, at least for today.

While we were playing with the kids today, a little girl came up to me and started cleaning my feet with her fingers. I tried to get her to stop, but she wouldn’t. The humbleness of the people here always blows my mind.

After the school we went home and had a really quick lunch and then Emily, Felix (who is finally back from his internship) and I went to the post office. Emily had a package to pick up, and I am still waiting on a few packages to come in. My packages still weren’t there, which was disappointing, but I am going back to check again on Monday or Tuesday, so keep your fingers crossed.

Emily and I also picked up some Bible for people. The guy tried to rip us off because we were white, so we didn’t end up getting everything we wanted.

Our trip ended up taking so long that we had to take a taxi and a boda boda to Good Choice Primary school. If you are an avid blog reader, you remember that Good Choice is the school that I went to when I had literally been in Uganda less than 10 hours. We went back to clean again and play with the kids.

I had a blast playing with the kids, and Heath, Rachel and I had a good time cleaning up a classroom. We literally swept and mopped (with rags, not mops) mud out of a classroom. We also cleaned the porch. Afterwards, there were lots of puddles of water in a walkway in front of the doors, so Benon literally had us sweep mud. We had a lot of fun making fun of it.

We also got really dirty. That was close to 3 hours ago, and I have yet to shower. My hygiene habits here in Africa have really gone down hill. I don’t shower or wash my hair everyday, and I have been sleeping on sheets with dirt stains on them for close to 2 weeks now. I’m also not washing any clothes until it’s time for me to pick out outfits for London. In short, I’m gross.

I promise not bring my hygiene habits home with me.

Hopefully, anyways.

Tonight we did some stuff to prepare for Sarah’s introduction ceremony. It is the African version of an engagement party, but here in Africa, it’s bigger than the wedding. The parents, in-laws, and bride and groom all meet and the families also discuss dowries, which are still down here in Africa. We had to iron our traditional wedding clothes, and Abby played with my hair some. I think I am actually going to do my hair and make up and feel like a girl for the first time in a while!

I also think I am going to be able to finish my paper before we leave tomorrow. The end is near!

Later tonight, we are having another share time around the bonfire. The last one was really good, so I am really excited about it.

Going to finally finish my paper,
Jenna

0 comments: