THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Yesterday Again

I didn’t make it through Braveheart last night. I fell asleep with about 30 minutes left. Maybe one day in my lifetime I’ll finally finish that movie.

This morning I woke up early with the intention of working on my paper only to discover that the internet wasn’t working. I couldn’t go back to sleep so I spent some time in the Bible and in prayer. It was a great start to the day.

After devotions and a planning meeting we headed to a local slum to visit with and evangelize to the families living there. We spilt up into small groups and walked around the houses. My group consisted of me, Emily, Tommy, and Jeff (a Ugandan). We visited with 3 different families.

The first family was a man and a wife with 7 kids. The man was the only person in the family that works. He and his wife were having a hard time paying for school fees for all of their children. In fact, the youngest 2 haven’t started school because they can only afford to send the 5 oldest children. We prayed with them and took their names and phone number. Hopefully, we will be able to put some of the kids on the Empower A Child sponsorship list.

The next guy we talked to was a single 24 year old guy. He works as a barber at a local shop. He told us about how he was a Muslim until about 2 years ago. He accepted Christ but afterwards he didn’t really do anything with it. We talked to him to him about living his life for Christ and he recommitted his life to Christ. We also introduced him to a Ugandan named Ivan who goes to a church near his house. We also gave him Ivan’s phone number so hopefully he will get connected to the local church.

The final family we talked to was a brother and sister whose were keeping the house for the 3 older brothers while they are serving the army. They are both Christians so it was nice to talk to them and pray with them and encourage them.

After the morning we went home and had some lunch and then went to Kids In Need. We played games, sang some songs, and then John performed a song he wrote and Jeff spoke. I didn’t listen to that part though because during the singing and speaking Leah and I took the smaller kids outside and did face paint with them. One of my professors at school donated a face painting kit and I was excited to finally have the chance to use it. The kids absolutely loved it and it was so much fun!

After we got back I got caught up on my blog and e-mails. Tommy also went with Ivan back to the slum and visited the family of 7 that we met this morning. He decided to sponsor the older of the 2 younger kids (the ones that aren’t attending school). He said that the kids were going nuts and the parents were super happy. We also made sure that the younger one got put on the waiting list. I’m so glad we got to help them out.

I know I keep talking about this, but if you want to sponsor the youngest girl from the family we met this morning or any of the other 100 or so children on the Empower A Child waiting list let me know. Next weekend, Francis is taking me back to Luwero to meet my 2 sponsor children. If you want to pick up a sponsor child from Luwero, I’ll be able to take them a few presents next weekend. It only costs 30 dollars a month and it will make a huge difference in the life of a child and their families.

Later tonight I plan on working on my paper and watching The Emperor’s New Groove with everyone. It’s going to be a really relaxed night and weekend, which is good because I feel like my body has been going non stop all week.

Lastly, I have a few prayer requests for you guys:

1. My body has been really tired lately. This is partly because I’ve been getting up early to work on my paper and partly because I have been really pouring myself into all the ministries lately because I know my time here is going to end soon. I get sick really easily when I get tired, so pray for energy and strength and for my body to stay healthy.
2. I have some kind of infection on my foot. The Ugandans are convinced that it’s a boil that I got from making mud in Luwero. Amy (a nursing student) thinks it’s a bug bite that has gotten infected. It’s pretty swollen and has a lot of pus (sorry for the gross details). I have never had a boil before so I’m not really sure what it is. All I know is that it hurts, especially when I walk and take shoes on and off. Additionally, the Ugandans tell me that if it is a boil then I’m going to have to drain it and since it hurts to touch it, I’m not really looking forward to that. Please pray for healing (without having to drain it preferably)
3. Finally, I got news today that my Great Uncle Bubba passed away from Alzheimer’s on July 1st. News travels slow here. Anyways, I ask that you would pray for my family as they deal with loss. His body was basically shutting down and he is in a better place now, but losing a family member is always hard. My mom tells me that my Grandma Betty is taking the loss of her brother pretty hard, so please pray specifically for her, my Aunt Janice (Bubba’s wife) and their children and grandchildren.

Grandma Betty and Aunt Janice know that I love you and I’m praying for you!

Thanks in advance for the prayers guys,
Jenna

0 comments: