THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 10, 2009

Yesterday Because The Internet Was Out

This morning we got up early and headed to Sanyu baby’s home. When we got there, I discovered that Francis was sick. He had a fever and had thrown up in the middle of the night. Unfortunately, Francis can not turn his head or roll over, so his face sat in his pool of vomit for most of the night. I was really disappointed to discover that no one had changed his sheets or cleaned him up during the night. Children with disabilities always get the short end of the stick here.

Elias the therapist didn’t show up at all today, so I got to do therapy however I wanted all morning. It was wonderful. Anita, one of the babies I have been working with, sat up by herself today. Additionally, a little girl named Martha took a few steps independently. These are things I have been working on since I arrived and it felt so good to finally see the work I’ve been putting in with the children pay off. The only bad part of the morning was that I wasn’t able to see all the kids because I ran out of time. It’s hard to see 8 kids in 2 and a half hours without someone there helping you.

After Sanyu we came home and had a quick lunch. I also took a quick but much needed nap and afterwards we headed to Remand home. Today we sang songs and played games and then Leah spoke to the boys on sexual immorality. She shared her testimony about her sexual past with close to 50 teenage boys and girls. It took a lot of guts and I really admired her strength. She did a really great job. Afterwards, she let a few people share their testimonies. A few of the volunteers shared about being raped or sexually assaulted. Only one of the teenagers shared. She told us all about a man trying to sexually assault her and beating her up and stealing her stuff. She then stabbed the man for self protection and was sent to Remand home. While there she became a Christian and is now going home in the next week. It was a really sad and at the same time inspiring story. She had such strength. There is no way I was that mature or strong at 17.

We didn’t get a chance to talk to the boys in small groups like we usually do. I saw that Moses was still at the home, but I wasn’t able to ask him why. Hopefully I’ll be able to talk to him next week.

After Remand home we came home, went to the market, got some Somosas, and played some card games. Also, while we were at the market, Tommy, Brett, and I discovered a small movie theater in the basement of the shopping center. By discovered I mean we saw posters for it and tried to find it. We were able to find a few movie posters and a piece of paper with movie times written on it. We tried to find the actual theater but whenever we asked people they told us somewhere wrong or didn’t understand our English and responded with things like “How are you?” and “The bank is closed”. I say all this to tell you that I am determined to find the theater and see the new Harry Potter movie when it comes out. Currently, I won’t be able to see it until the weekend after it comes out because we would have to go into town, but if it’s going to be playing across the street, you can bet I’ll be there opening night.

After dinner, we watched Braveheart. Tommy is Scottish and was shocked to discover I’ve never seen it. He has been asking to watch it since he has been here so a group of us watched it tonight. By watched it I mean we are watching it as I type. So far, I like it, but it is outrageously violent.

Committed to Braveheart for the next 3 hours,
Jenna

0 comments: